Tolterodine ER is licensed to treat symptoms of an overactive bladder in adults. By relaxing the bladder muscles, the medication can help decrease leaking accidents, sudden urges to urinate, and frequent urination. Tolterodine ER capsules, which are available by prescription, are generally taken once a day. Potential side effects include abdominal pain, dry mouth, and constipation.
Tolterodine ER (Detrol LA®) is a prescription medication that is used help treat an overactive bladder. Specifically, it is approved to help treat the following overactive bladder symptoms:
- Sudden, frequent urges to urinate
- Frequent urination (needing to go more than eight times in 24 hours)
- Leaking accidents (known as urinary incontinence or urge incontinence).
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with tolterodine ER. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Common side effects of tolterodine ER include but are not limited to:
- Dry mouth (see Detrol LA and Dry Mouth)
- Constipation (see Detrol LA and Constipation)
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain).
(Click Side Effects of Tolterodine ER to learn more, including potentially serious side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)