Oxybutynin ER Dosing
For adults who are beginning overactive bladder treatment with oxybutynin ER, dosing typically starts at 5 to 10 mg once a day. If needed, this dosage can be increased up to 30 mg daily. The recommended oxybutynin dosage for children with bladder problems due to neurological disorders is 5 mg once daily. Your child's healthcare provider may increase the daily dose up to 20 mg.
Oxybutynin ER Dosage: An Introduction
The dose of oxybutynin ER (Ditropan XL®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to oxybutynin ER
- Your age
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your oxybutynin ER dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Oxybutynin ER Dosing for Adults
The recommended starting oxybutynin ER dose for overactive bladder treatment is 5 to 10 mg once daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to oxybutynin ER 30 mg once daily to control your overactive bladder symptoms.
Oxybutynin ER Dosing for Children
The recommended starting oxybutynin ER dose for children age six years and over with bladder problems due to neurological disorders (such as spina bifida) is 5 mg once daily. If necessary, your child's healthcare provider may slowly increase the dose up to oxybutynin ER 20 mg once daily.
General Information on Dosing With Oxybutynin ER
Considerations for people taking oxybutynin ER include the following:
- Oxybutynin ER comes in tablet form. It is taken just once a day.
- It does not matter if you take oxybutynin ER with food or on an empty stomach. If the drug seems to bother your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Oxybutynin ER tablets are long-acting and must be swallowed whole. Do not crush, break, cut, or chew oxybutynin ER tablets.
- Because the outer shells of oxybutynin ER tablets do not dissolve, you may notice them in your stool. This is normal and does not decrease the effectiveness of oxybutynin ER in any way.
- Oxybutynin ER should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your oxybutynin ER dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.