Considerations for people taking memantine include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet and oral solution (liquid) form. It is taken by mouth, usually twice a day, although it is taken just once a day when you first start taking it.
- Memantine can be taken with or without food. If the drug bothers your stomach, try taking it with a little food.
- For liquid memantine, be sure you know how to correctly measure the proper dosage. The liquid form should be taken directly, not mixed into any foods or beverages.
- Be sure to take memantine at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Memantine will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related memantine dosing, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.