When and How to Take Memantine XRSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with memantine XR include the following:
- This medication comes in extended-release capsule form. It is taken by mouth once daily.
- You can take memantine XR with or without food. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Do not crush, chew, cut, or dissolve the extended-release capsules, as this will cause the medication to be released too quickly. You should swallow them whole.
- If you cannot swallow the capsules whole, you may open the capsule and sprinkle the contents on a little applesauce. This should be eaten right away, without chewing.
- Make sure to take your memantine XR dose at the same time each day to keep an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not suddenly stop taking it.
Storage InformationMemantine XR should be stored at room temperature, away from moisture and heat. Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children.
Is There a Generic Memantine XR?This medication is not available in generic form (see Generic Namenda XR ).
- Memantine XR 7 mg
- Memantine XR 14 mg
- Memantine XR 21 mg
- Memantine XR 28 mg.