Senior Health Home > Trospium XR
For people who experience symptoms of an overactive bladder, a healthcare provider may recommend Trospium XR. This prescription medication can help to treat urinary incontinence and frequent urination. Trospium XR comes in the form of a capsule that is taken once a day. Although most people tolerate the drug well, side effects can occur and may include things such as constipation, gas, and a dry mouth.
What Is Trospium XR?Trospium XR (Sanctura®) is a prescription medication approved for the treatment of certain bladder problems. Specifically, it is approved to help treat the following overactive bladder symptoms:
- Frequent urination (usually defined as needing to go more than eight times in a day)
- Leaking accidents (known as urinary incontinence or urge incontinence)
- Sudden, frequent urges to urinate.
Side Effects of Trospium XRAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with trospium XR. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
- Dry mouth (see Sanctura XR and Dry Mouth)
- Constipation (see Sanctura XR and Constipation)
- Dry eyes