Senior Health Home > Tolterodine ER Dosing
For those who are being treated for an overactive bladder with tolterodine ER, dosing usually starts at 4 mg once daily. Some people may require a lower dosage, such as those who have liver or kidney disease, are taking certain medications, or who develop side effects. To maintain even drug levels in your blood, take your tolterodine ER dosage at the same time each day.
The dose of tolterodine ER (Detrol LA®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to tolterodine ER
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Tolterodine ER Dosing for an Overactive Bladder
The recommended starting dose of tolterodine ER for overactive bladder treatment is 4 mg once daily. However, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower dose (tolterodine ER 2 mg) if you:
- Have liver or kidney disease
- Are taking certain medications (see Drug Interactions With Tolterodine ER)
- Experience bothersome side effects of tolterodine ER.
Considerations for people taking tolterodine ER include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is taken just once a day.
- You can take tolterodine ER with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Tolterodine ER should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- Because tolterodine ER is an extended-release medication, it should be swallowed whole with liquids. Do not open, chew, or crush the capsules.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Tolterodine ER will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to tolterodine ER dosing, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.