Senior Health Home > Testosterone Gel Dosage
Fortesta Dosing for Low Testosterone in MenThe recommended starting dose for Fortesta is 40 mg (4 pumps) applied to the skin once daily. After a while, your healthcare provider should check your testosterone levels again. If they are still low, the dose may be increased or decreased if necessary. The most accurate time to check your testosterone levels is a blood draw about two hours after a dose of Fortesta.
Testim Dosing for Low Testosterone in MenThe recommended starting dose for the Testim brand of testosterone gel is 5 grams of the product (50 mg of testosterone) applied to the skin once daily. After two weeks, your healthcare provider should check your testosterone levels again, preferably in the morning. If they are still low, the dose may be increased to 10 grams once daily.
General Information on Your Dose of Testosterone GelSome considerations for people taking testosterone gel include the following:
- The medication is a gel that is applied to the skin once daily. It comes in single-use tubes (Testim), single-use packets (AndroGel), or multi-use pumps (AndroGel and Fortesta).
- Apply testosterone gel at the same time each day, preferably in the morning. Apply it to clean, dry, healthy skin on the shoulders or upper arms (for Testim) or the shoulders, upper arms, or abdomen (for AndroGel) or the upper and inner thighs (for Fortesta). Do not apply this medication to the genitals.
- Make sure to wash your hands after applying the gel. Give it a few minutes to dry before you dress. Make sure to wait at least five or six hours before showering or swimming.
- Make sure to cover the application site (once the gel is dry) with clothing to minimize contact with women or children. You should wash the area thoroughly before any skin-to-skin contact, such as sexual intercourse.
- Until the gel dries, it is flammable. Stay away from open flame until the testosterone gel is dry.
- Ideally, the application site should not be washed for two hours after applying the gel to give the medication a chance to be absorbed.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not increase your dosage or take it more frequently than prescribed without your healthcare provider's approval.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or testosterone gel dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider.