Senior Health Home > Side Effects of Teriparatide
Common Side Effects of Teriparatide
Teriparatide has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which a group of people taking the drug have side effects documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of teriparatide included:
- Nausea -- in up to 14 percent of people
- Joint pain -- up to 10.1 percent
- Runny or stuffy nose -- up to 9.6 percent
- Weakness -- up to 8.7 percent
- Nausea -- up to 8.5 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 8 percent
- Inflammation and irritation of the stomach (gastritis) -- up to 7 percent
- Cough -- up to 6.4 percent.
Other common teriparatide side effects (occurring in 2 to 6 percent of people) included:
- Sore throat
- Indigestion or heartburn
- A spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Leg cramps
- Chest pain
Final Thoughts on Side Effects of Teriparatide
You may experience some or none of the teriparatide side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand whether you will have side effects from a medicine that you have never tried. Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while taking the drug or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be a side effect of teriparatide, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.