Senior Health Home > Nitroglycerin Overdose
Seek immediate medical care if you believe you have used too much nitroglycerin, as an overdose with this medication can be dangerous. Some effects of an overdose may include vision problems, a severe headache, and paralysis. If treatment is necessary, it will likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result of an overdose.
Can You Use Too Much Nitroglycerin?Nitroglycerin (Minitran™, Nitro-Bid®, Nitro-Dur®, Nitrolingual®, NitroMist®, Nitrostat®, Rectiv™) is a prescription medication most commonly used for the treatment or prevention of chest pain (angina) due to coronary artery disease. As with most medications, it is possible to use too much nitroglycerin. In fact, an overdose with this medicine can be dangerous.
Effects of an OverdoseSome of the known effects of an overdose with any nitroglycerin product include:
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting (signs of low blood pressure)
- A spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (heart palpitations)
- A severe, throbbing headache
- Vision problems
- Nausea and vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- A slow heart rate
- Blue skin, a sign of methemoglobinemia