Senior Health Home > Precautions and Warnings With Memantine XR
Before you start using memantine XR, tell your healthcare provider about any other medical conditions you may have. For instance, this Alzheimer's medication may not be safe for people who have epilepsy, kidney disease, or a severe urinary tract infection. Other safety precautions with memantine XR include warnings against using this medication with certain other drugs, as negative interactions may occur.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking memantine XR (Namenda XR®) if you have:
- Epilepsy or seizures
- A severe urinary tract infection
- Renal tubular acidosis (a kidney disorder)
- Any other type of kidney disease, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver disease, including liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Specific Memantine XR Warnings and PrecautionsSome warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to taking memantine XR include the following:
- Memantine XR has not been studied specifically in people with epilepsy or seizures. Because this medication affects brain receptors and chemicals, it could cause problems in people with epilepsy. Check with your healthcare provider before taking this medicine if you have a seizure disorder.
- Conditions that decrease the acidity of the urine can cause memantine XR to accumulate to high levels in the body. Examples of such conditions include very severe urinary tract infections (UTIs) and renal tubular acidosis.
- The liver metabolizes memantine XR, and the kidneys remove it from the body. Thus, poor liver or kidney function may increase the level of memantine XR in the body, increasing the risks of side effects of memantine XR. Check with your healthcare provider before taking this medication if you have liver or kidney disease.
- Memantine XR can potentially interact with a few medications (see Drug Interactions With Memantine XR).
- Memantine XR is considered a pregnancy Category B medication. This means that it is probably safe for use during pregnancy, although the full risks are not known (see Namenda XR and Pregnancy).
- It is not known whether memantine XR passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to taking the drug (see Namenda XR and Breastfeeding).