Senior Health Home > Side Effects of Hylan G-F 20
In clinical studies, up to 25.2 percent of people experienced knee pain during treatment with hylan G-F 20. Side effects are usually minor and either do not require treatment or can be treated easily. However, knee pain or swelling could be a sign of an infection, so you should contact your healthcare provider right away if you develop this problem.
As with most treatments for osteoarthritis, hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc®, Synvisc-One®) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who receives this treatment will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with hylan G-F 20. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of hylan G-F 20 side effects with you.)
Some side effects with hylan G-F 20 are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Knee pain or swelling (which is usually not serious but can be a sign of an infection in rare cases)
- Signs of an allergic reaction to hylan G-F 20, such as:
- An unexplained rash or hives
- Itching (more than the usual itching related to eye allergies)
- Unexplained swelling, especially of the mouth, lips, or throat
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing.