Senior Health Home > Glucosamine and Chondroitin
Glucosamine and chondroitin is a dietary supplement best known for its effects on treating arthritis. The combination product is believed to work by decreasing inflammation, stimulating the cells that produce cartilage, limiting the production of certain compounds that degrade cartilage, and inhibiting a certain enzyme that damages cartilage. Some of the side effects that have been reported with the supplement include diarrhea, heartburn, and nausea.
- Decreasing inflammation
- Stimulating chondrocytes, the cells that make and maintain cartilage
- Decreasing the production of certain compounds that degrade cartilage.
- Inhibiting a cartilage-damaging enzyme known as leukocyte elastase
- Decreasing inflammation (by changing the way certain white blood cells respond to certain chemical signals)
- Increasing the production of hyaluronic acid, a component of synovial fluid (the lubricating fluid in joints) and of cartilage.