Senior Health Home > Desoximetasone Ointment
What If I Forget a Dose of Desoximetasone Ointment?If you forget a dose, apply it as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for the next dose. In this case, simply skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not use a double dose.
How Does It Work?Desoximetasone ointment is part of a group of medications known as glucocorticoids, which are a type of corticosteroid (or "steroid" for short). Although glucocorticoids have numerous effects in the body, they are used mostly for their anti-inflammatory or immune-suppressing properties. Desoximetasone ointment works for most conditions by decreasing inflammation or suppressing an overactive immune system.
When and How to Use This MedicineSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with desoximetasone ointment include the following:
- This medication is usually applied to the affected area(s) of the skin twice a day.
- Apply the medication sparingly. More is not better; only a thin film is necessary.
- If your healthcare provider recommends that you do so, you may apply a dressing over the medication. Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for a recommendation for which type of dressing to use.
- Do not use this product on the face, underarms, groin, or diaper area, unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.