Senior Health Home > Depo-Testosterone
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Depo-Testosterone include the following:
- The medication is an injection that is given once every two to four weeks. It is typically given into the gluteal muscle.
- Some men are able to give themselves the injections. Others have a friend or family member give the injection. Others only feel comfortable with a healthcare provider giving the injection. Talk with your healthcare provider about who should give the injections.
- Depo-Testosterone comes in a vial without any needles or syringes. If you are doing the injections at home, you will also need to purchase needles and syringes. Your pharmacist can help you choose an appropriate needle gauge and length.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or use it more frequently than prescribed without your healthcare provider's approval.
Dosing InformationThe dose your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to this medication
- Your testosterone levels
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.