Senior Health Home > Precautions and Warnings With Calcitonin Salmon Nasal Spray
There are certain precautions and warnings with calcitonin salmon nasal spray that you should be aware of before starting treatment. Before using the drug, tell your healthcare provider if you have nasal sores, low blood calcium, or any allergies. Precautions and warnings with calcitonin salmon nasal spray also include those who are allergic to any active or inactive components of the medication.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking calcitonin salmon nasal spray (Fortical® nasal spray, Miacalcin® nasal spray) if you have:
- Low blood calcium (hypocalcemia)
- Nasal sores or problems
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you may be taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to using calcitonin salmon nasal spray include the following:
- The medication is a manufactured version of a hormone that is found in salmon. As such, it has the potential to cause allergic reactions. Tell your healthcare provider immediately if you have any signs of an allergic reaction, such as unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing.
- Calcitonin salmon nasal spray can cause nasal problems. Your healthcare provider should examine your nasal passages before you start treatment and periodically thereafter.
- The medication can decrease the level of calcium in your blood. Therefore, you should not use calcitonin salmon nasal spray if you already have low blood calcium (known medically as hypocalcemia).
- Calcitonin salmon nasal spray can potentially interact with a few other medications (see Drug Interactions With Calcitonin Salmon Nasal Spray).
- Calcitonin salmon nasal spray is considered a pregnancy Category C medication. This means that it may not be safe for use during pregnancy (see Fortical and Pregnancy or Miacalcin Nasal Spray and Pregnancy).
- It is not known whether calcitonin salmon nasal spray passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to taking the drug (see Fortical and Breastfeeding or Miacalcin Nasal Spray and Breastfeeding).