Senior Health Home > Alendronate Effervescent Tablet
When and How to Take This Medicine
- This medication comes as a tablet that is dissolved in water to form a liquid solution. The liquid solution is swallowed, usually once a week.
- The tablets should only be dissolved in plain, room-temperature water. Do not use cold, flavored, or mineral water.
- Do not drink this liquid solution immediately after placing the tablet in water. Instead, wait at least five minutes after the bubbling stops, stir the liquid for ten seconds, and then drink it.
- Alendronate effervescent tablets must be dissolved in water. Do not swallow, chew, or suck on them.
- Take alendronate effervescent tablets first thing after you get up in the morning, at least 30 minutes before you eat, drink (you can drink water), or take other medications. Do not take the medication at bedtime or before arising for the day.
- This medication must be taken on an empty stomach. Food, beverages, and other medicines can interact with alendronate effervescent tablets and prevent the drug from being completely absorbed into the body.
- Swallow the liquid while sitting or standing upright. Do not lie down for at least 30 minutes after taking it and until you have eaten something. This is important to prevent the medicine from irritating your esophagus.
- Make sure you get enough calcium and vitamin D in addition to alendronate effervescent tablets, either through your diet or with supplements.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you know exactly how to take alendronate effervescent tablets and that you follow the instructions closely. Taking it incorrectly can prevent the drug from working properly, and may be dangerous.