Hylan G-F 20
Hylan G-F 20 is manufactured by Genzyme Biosurgery, a division of Genzyme Corporation.
In studies, treatment with hylan G-F 20 has been shown to provide superior pain relief, compared with injection of salt water (a "placebo" injection). This benefit has been shown to last as long as six months.
General considerations for those using hylan G-F 20 include the following:
- This product comes in the form of a gel-like liquid that is injected directly into the knee joint. Your healthcare provider will administer the injections.
- Your knee will be cleansed, and a local anesthetic will usually be injected with a small needle to help prevent pain. A larger needle will then be inserted directly into the knee joint. Your healthcare provider will "drain" fluid from the joint before switching syringes and injecting hylan G-F 20.
- The draining of the joint and the injection of hylan G-F 20 are done with the same needle, so you will need to be "stuck" with a needle only twice (once for the anesthetic and once for the draining and the hylan G-F 20 injection).
- The entire procedure is brief and is done in your healthcare provider's office.
- You can resume most of your usual activities, although your healthcare provider may recommend avoiding strenuous activity for a day or two after receiving an injection.
(Click Hylan G-F 20 Dosage for more information.)