Hylan G-F 20 Dosage
For the older version of hylan G-F 20, the standard recommended dose is one 2-mL injection once a week for three weeks. If you have arthritis in both knees, you can have the injections administered at the same time (for a total of three injections per knee). A complete dose of the newer version can be given in just one injection, instead of three.
Hylan G-F 20 Dosage for Knee OsteoarthritisFor the older formulation (Synvisc), the recommended hylan G-F 20 dose for treating osteoarthritis of the knee is one 2-mL injection (the entire syringe) once a week for three weeks (a total of three injections per knee). For the newer formulation (Synvisc-One), the recommended dosage is just a single 6-mL injection. If you have arthritis in both knees, you may choose to have them done at the same time or separately.
Although the pain relief can last up to six months, most people experience the most pain relief about 8 to 12 weeks after the treatment starts. Repeat treatments may be beneficial (especially if hylan G-F 20 worked well for you the first time), since the effects of this product are not permanent.
Considerations for people taking hylan G-F 20 include the following:
- This product comes in the form of a gel-like liquid that is injected directly into the knee joint. Your healthcare provider will administer the injections.
- Your knee will be cleansed, and a local anesthetic will usually be injected with a small needle to help prevent pain. A larger needle will then be inserted directly into the knee joint. Your healthcare provider will "drain" fluid from the joint before switching syringes and injecting hylan G-F 20.
- The draining of the joint and the injection of hylan G-F 20 are done with the same needle, so you will need to be "stuck" with a needle only twice (once for the anesthetic and once for the draining and the hylan G-F 20 injection).
- The entire procedure is brief and is done in your healthcare provider's office.
- You can resume most of your usual activities, although your healthcare provider may recommend avoiding strenuous activity for a day or two after the injection.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your hylan G-F 20 dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.