Considerations for people taking galantamine include the following:
- Short-acting galantamine comes in tablet and oral solution (liquid) form. It is usually taken by mouth twice daily. Long-acting galantamine comes in capsule form and is taken once daily (preferably in the morning).
- Both short-acting and long-acting galantamine should be taken with food.
- Long-acting galantamine capsules must be swallowed whole; do not open, break, or chew the capsules.
- Be sure to take galantamine at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Galantamine will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to galantamine or your galantamine dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.