Side Effects of Febuxostat
Some of the most common side effects of febuxostat may include nausea and joint pain. In most cases, side effects reported with the drug are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated. However, there are also a number of potentially serious side effects that may occur. Notify your healthcare provider if you develop any serious problems, such as sudden confusion, dark urine, and chest pain.
An Introduction to Febuxostat Side EffectsAs with any medicine, febuxostat (Uloric®) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with febuxostat. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of febuxostat side effects with you.)
Side Effects to ReportSome side effects with febuxostat are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. Although generally rare, some of these side effects may actually be fairly common. These include, but are not limited to:
- Chest pain or other heart attack symptoms
- Sudden confusion; numbness in the arms, legs, or face; or other stroke symptoms
- Signs of liver problems, such as yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin, dark urine, or increased liver enzymes (found using a blood test)
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Frequent or persistent infections
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing.