Before determining your dosage of febuxostat, your healthcare provider will consider several factors, such as how you respond to febuxostat, other medications you are taking, and other medical conditions you may have. The typical starting dosage is 40 mg once daily. If your uric acid levels do not become sufficiently lower with this dosage, your healthcare provider may increase your dose to 80 mg once daily.
Febuxostat Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of febuxostat (Uloric®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to febuxostat
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Febuxostat Dosing for GoutThe recommended starting dosage is 40 mg once daily. After two weeks, your healthcare provider should check your uric acid level (using a blood test). If your level is not sufficiently low (6 mg/dL or less), the dosage may be increased to 80 mg once daily.
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- It does not matter if you take febuxostat with food or on an empty stomach. If the medication seems to bother your stomach, try taking it with a little food.
- Make sure to take this medication at the same time each day to keep an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of febuxostat, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.