Diclofenac Sodium Topical Solution Dosage
The standard recommended dosage of diclofenac sodium topical solution 1.5% is 40 drops per affected knee, four times a day. For the 2% strength, it is applied twice a day. When applying the solution, spread it evenly around all sides of the knee. Be sure to wait until the skin is dry before putting on any clothing over the area of application.
An Introduction to Dosing With Diclofenac Sodium Topical SolutionDiclofenac sodium topical solution (Pennsaid®) comes in two different strengths, and the dosing information is different for the two strengths. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Standard Dosage for the 1.5% Strength
The standard recommended diclofenac sodium 1.5% topical solution dose for osteoarthritis of the knee is 40 drops per affected knee, four times per day. The drops should be applied 10 at a time to help prevent spillage.
The standard recommended diclofenac sodium 2% topical solution dose for osteoarthritis of the knee is two pumps per affected knee, two times per day.
General Information on Your Diclofenac Sodium Topical Solution DoseSome considerations to keep in mind when using diclofenac sodium topical solution include the following:
- Diclofenac sodium topical solution is usually applied to the skin two or four times a day, depending on the strength.
- Apply the solution to clean, dry, unbroken skin. The skin should be free of cuts, infections, or rashes.
- Spread the solution around all sides of the knee evenly.
- Wash your hands after applying diclofenac sodium topical solution.
- Wait until the solution is dry before applying lotions, cosmetics, insect repellents, or any other products, or before putting on any clothing over the area of application.
- Do not shower, bathe, or swim for at least 30 minutes after applying the solution.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Diclofenac sodium topical solution will not work if you stop using it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or diclofenac sodium topical solution dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.