When treating low testosterone levels with Depo-Testosterone, the dosage will depend on your testosterone levels, other medications you are taking, and various other factors. This medicine is given as an injection into a muscle every two to four weeks. Your healthcare provider will monitor your testosterone blood levels to determine if your dosage is appropriate.
An Introduction to Dosing With Depo-TestosteroneThe dose of Depo®-Testosterone (testosterone cypionate) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Depo-Testosterone
- Your testosterone levels
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Depo-Testosterone DosageThere is no standard dose for Depo-Testosterone. Your healthcare provider will essentially estimate an appropriate starting amount, based on your age, diagnosis, and testosterone levels. He or she will then adjust your dose as needed, based on how you react to the medication. The normal dosing range for this medication is 50 mg to 400 mg given every two to four weeks.
For starting puberty in adolescent males, there are various dosing regimens that have been suggested. Some healthcare providers like to start with a low dosage and gradually work up to a higher one. Others prefer to start with a high dosage, and then lower the amount once puberty has begun.
General Information on Using Depo-TestosteroneSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Depo-Testosterone include the following:
- The medication is an injection that is given once every two to four weeks. It is typically given into the gluteal muscle.
- Some men are able to give themselves the injections. Others have a friend or family member give the injection. Others only feel comfortable with a healthcare provider giving the injection. Talk with your healthcare provider about who should give the injections.
- Depo-Testosterone comes in a vial without any needles or syringes. If you are doing the injections at home, you will also need to purchase needles and syringes. Your pharmacist can help you choose an appropriate needle gauge and length.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or use it more frequently than prescribed without your healthcare provider's approval.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Depo-Testosterone dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.