Benefits of Dehydroepiandrosterone
There are many possible benefits of dehydroepiandrosterone. The dietary supplement is often claimed to be beneficial for treating infertility, promoting weight loss, alleviating menopause symptoms, and reversing aging. There are currently no known benefits for children; you should not give your child the supplement without his or her healthcare provider's approval.
Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is a hormone that is available as a dietary supplement. People claim that dehydroepiandrosterone is beneficial for the following uses:
- Reversing aging
- Promoting weight loss
- Enhancing sexual desire and function
- Improving mental function
- Improving the function of the immune system
- Increasing strength, muscle mass, and energy
- Alleviating menopause symptoms
- Treating infertility, especially in women with poor ovarian reserve undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Treating or preventing the following conditions:
While some clinical studies have shown positive results for some of these claimed benefits, there is very little evidence to suggest that dehydroepiandrosterone is beneficial for many uses (see Does DHEA Work? for more information).