Darifenacin dosing guidelines take certain factors into account, such as how you respond to the medication. Your healthcare provider may increase your dosage if your overactive bladder symptoms do not improve after two weeks. If you are taking medications that can affect the level of darifenacin in your blood, your dose of darifenacin should not exceed 7.5 mg per day.
The dose of darifenacin (Enablex®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medications you may be taking
- How you respond to darifenacin
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Darifenacin Dosing for an Overactive BladderThe recommended starting dose of darifenacin for overactive bladder treatment is 7.5 mg once daily. If your symptoms are not adequately controlled after two weeks, your healthcare provider may increase your dose to 15 mg once daily.
If you are taking certain other medications that increase the level of darifenacin in your blood, the maximum recommended dose is darifenacin 7.5 mg once daily (see Drug Interactions With Darifenacin for more information).
Considerations for people taking darifenacin include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken just once a day.
- You can take darifenacin with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Darifenacin should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- Because darifenacin is an extended-release medication, it should be swallowed whole with liquids. Do not break, chew, or crush the tablets.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Darifenacin will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to darifenacin dosing, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.