Cutivate Ointment Side Effects
Serious Side Effects to ReportSome side effects with steroids (Cutivate Ointment is a steroid) are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia) or diabetes
- Ruptured tendons
- Psychotic reactions, such as hallucinations or extreme aggression
- Severe fluid retention
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- Unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling.
In general, these reactions are extremely unlikely to occur when Cutivate Ointment is used as directed for a short time. Applying too much, over too large an area, and for too long may increase the risk of serious steroid-related side effects.
Long-Term Cutivate Ointment Side EffectsUsing steroids like Cutivate Ointment for a long time can cause a different set of side effects. These are most likely to be seen in people that use Cutivate Ointment over a large area of the body for a long time, and might include:
- Weight gain
- Bulging eyes
- Fluid retention
- Loss of muscle
- Fat deposits on the face and back, causing a round face and a fatty hump on the back of the neck
- Stunted growth (in children).
Keep in mind that such side effects are much more common with systemic steroids, which are taken by mouth or injection, and are probably quite rare with Cutivate Ointment.