Capsaicin 8% Patch Dosage: An Introduction
There is only one standard dosage for capsaicin 8% patch
™), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Dose for Post-Shingles Pain
A healthcare provider will apply a capsaicin 8% patch directly to the most painful area(s). The patch may be cut to an appropriate size and shape, if necessary. Your healthcare provider should apply a numbing cream to the area to be treated ahead of time, in order to help minimize pain and discomfort. The numbing cream should be removed before the patch is applied.
The patch is left on the skin for 60 minutes, after which the patch is removed and the skin is cleansed. This may be repeated every 12 weeks as necessary.
General Capsaicin 8% Patch Dosing Information
Some considerations for people using capsaicin 8% patch include the following:
- Do not apply a capsaicin 8% patch by yourself. Your healthcare provider should apply it in a healthcare facility.
- Even with numbing cream, you may experience significant pain or discomfort during the procedure. Ice packs and/or pain medications may be necessary to relieve the pain.
- Your healthcare provider should use nitrile gloves (not latex) when applying the patch.
- The treated area may be sensitive to heat (such as showers, sunlight, or vigorous exercise) for a few days.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or capsaicin 8% patch dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.