Calcitonin Salmon Nasal Spray Dosing
For the treatment of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women, the recommended calcitonin salmon nasal spray dosage is one spray, once a day. Be sure to alternate nostrils so that you are not spraying in the same nostril two days in a row. In order for the medication to work properly, you must follow calcitonin salmon nasal spray dosing guidelines as prescribed.
There is only one recommended dose of calcitonin salmon nasal spray (Fortical® nasal spray, Miacalcin® nasal spray), regardless of your age, weight, or other medical conditions. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Calcitonin Salmon Nasal Spray Dosing for OsteoporosisThe recommended dose of calcitonin salmon nasal spray for osteoporosis in postmenopausal women is 200 IU (one spray) once daily. You should alternate nostrils so that you do not use the same nostril two days in a row.
You must take calcium and vitamin D in order for calcitonin salmon nasal spray to work. You should take at least 1000 mg of calcium each day (this is best taken as 500 mg twice daily) and 400 IU of vitamin D each day, unless your healthcare provider recommends otherwise.
Considerations for people taking calcitonin salmon nasal spray include the following:
- As the name implies, the medication comes as a nasal spray. It is usually taken once a day as one spray, alternating nostrils daily.
- You can take calcitonin salmon nasal spray with or without food.
- You can use the medication at any time of the day, but it is a good idea to use it at the same time each day.
- The first time you use each bottle of calcitonin salmon nasal spray, you will need to prime the pump by spraying until a fine mist appears.
- You do not need to try to inhale the medication. It is absorbed into the body from the nasal tissues. Also, you do not need to tip your head back.
- Once you assemble a bottle of calcitonin salmon nasal spray, it must be stored in the upright position, not on its side.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Calcitonin salmon nasal spray will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to calcitonin salmon nasal spray or calcitonin salmon nasal spray dosing, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.