Taking an overdose of betaxolol could lead to serious problems such as congestive heart failure, constriction of the airway, and low blood sugar. These problems may occur with an overdose of the tablet form of the drug, as well as with betaxolol eye drops. Various treatment options are available for an overdose with this medication, including "pumping the stomach," certain medications, and supportive care.
Betaxolol hydrochloride (Betoptic®, Kerlone®) is a prescription medication that belongs to a class of drugs known as beta blockers. It is used to treat high blood pressure (in tablet form) and glaucoma (in eye drop form). As with most medications, it is possible to take too much betaxolol. The specific effects of a betaxolol overdose can be dangerous but will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the betaxolol dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
An overdose with betaxolol or other beta blockers may cause the following problems:
- Low heart rate (bradycardia)
- Constriction of the airway, which may cause breathing problems
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Congestive heart failure
It should be noted that such problems are possible with both betaxolol tablets and betaxolol eye drops (a significant amount of medication is absorbed into the bloodstream with the eye drops).
The treatment for a betaxolol overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent (and taken by mouth), a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Dialysis is not useful for removing betaxolol from the blood. Treatment will also involve supportive care, such as:
- Giving medications to control the heart rate
- Giving IV fluids and medications to increase blood pressure
- Giving asthma medications to reverse airway constriction
- Giving IV glucose to reverse low blood sugar.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on this medication.