Alendronate Effervescent Tablet Dosage
The standard weekly dosage of alendronate effervescent tablets is one 70-mg tablet dissolved in plain, room-temperature water. Wait at least five minutes after you have added the tablet to the water and the bubbling has stopped before you drink the solution. It is important to take this medicine first thing after you get up in the morning and on an empty stomach.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of Alendronate Effervescent Tablets
There is only one standard dose for alendronate effervescent tablets (Binosto™), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Recommended Alendronate Effervescent Tablet Dosing Guidelines
The standard recommended dose of alendronate effervescent tablets for treating men and postmenopausal women with osteoporosis is one 70-mg tablet once a week. Alendronate effervescent tablets come with precise dosing instructions. It is very important that you follow the instructions exactly to reduce your risk for developing potentially serious irritation of the esophagus that can occur while using alendronate effervescent tablets. In addition, this medicine may not work as well to treat osteoporosis if taken incorrectly.
Alendronate effervescent tablets should be taken first thing upon rising for the day on an empty stomach. Do not consume food, beverages (other than water), or other medicines for at least 30 minutes after you take this medicine. Also, do not lie down for at least 30 minutes after you take it, and not until you've had something to eat.
General Information on Using Alendronate Effervescent Tablets
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with alendronate effervescent tablets include the following:
- This medication comes as a tablet that is dissolved in water to form a liquid solution. The liquid solution is swallowed, usually once a week.
- The tablets should only be dissolved in plain, room-temperature water. Do not use cold, flavored, or mineral water.
- Do not drink this liquid solution immediately after placing the tablet in water. Instead wait at least five minutes after the bubbling stops, stir the liquid for ten seconds, and then drink it.
- Alendronate effervescent tablets must be dissolved in water. Do not swallow, chew, or suck on them.
- Take alendronate effervescent tablets first thing after you get up in the morning, at least 30 minutes before you eat, drink (you can drink water), or take other medications. Do not take the medication at bedtime or before arising for the day.
- This medication must be taken on an empty stomach. Food, beverages, and other medicines can interact with alendronate effervescent tablets and prevent the drug from being completely absorbed into the body.
- Swallow the liquid while sitting or standing upright. Do not lie down for at least 30 minutes after taking it, and until you have eaten something. This is important to prevent the medicine from irritating your esophagus.
- Make sure you get enough calcium and vitamin D in addition to alendronate effervescent tablets, either through your diet or with supplements.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you know exactly how to take alendronate effervescent tablets and that you follow the instructions closely.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your alendronate effervescent tablet dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.