Alendronate and Cholecalciferol
General considerations for when and how to take alendronate and cholecalciferol include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form and is taken once weekly, on the same day each week.
- Alendronate and cholecalciferol must be taken first thing in the morning at least 30 minutes before you eat or drink anything (other than water). You must wait at least 30 minutes after taking the drug before eating or drinking anything other than water or taking any medications. Food, beverages, and medications can interact with alendronate and cholecalciferol and prevent it from being absorbed into the body.
- Take alendronate and cholecalciferol with a full glass of plain water only (not coffee, juice, soda, or even mineral water).
- Swallow the tablets whole with a full glass of water while sitting or standing upright. You must not lie down until you have waited at least 30 minutes after the dose and after you have eaten something. The tablets should not be chewed, broken, or sucked on. These precautions are necessary to prevent alendronate and cholecalciferol from irritating your esophagus.
- You need to make sure that you get enough calcium while taking alendronate and cholecalciferol, as the medicine cannot build bone without calcium.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Alendronate and cholecalciferol will not work if you stop taking it.
The dose of alendronate and cholecalciferol that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Alendronate and Cholecalciferol Dosing for more information.)