Alendronate and Cholecalciferol Dosing
Alendronate and cholecalciferol dosing for the treatment of osteoporosis typically starts at 70 mg/5600 IU once a week. If needed, your healthcare provider may recommend a dose with less vitamin D, such as 70 mg/2800 IU once weekly. Although your alendronate and cholecalciferol dosage is only taken once a week, it should be taken on the same day each week.
The dose of alendronate and cholecalciferol (Fosamax Plus D™) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Alendronate and Cholecalciferol Dosing for OsteoporosisThe recommended dose of alendronate and cholecalciferol for most people with osteoporosis is 70 mg/5600 IU once weekly. However, your healthcare provider may instead recommend a dose with less vitamin D (alendronate and cholecalciferol 70 mg/2800 IU) once weekly.
Considerations for people taking alendronate and cholecalciferol include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form and is taken once weekly, on the same day each week.
- Alendronate and cholecalciferol must be taken first thing in the morning at least 30 minutes before you eat or drink anything (other than water). You must wait at least 30 minutes after taking the medication before eating or drinking anything other than water or taking any medications. Food, beverages, and medications can interact with alendronate and cholecalciferol, preventing it from being absorbed into the body.
- Take alendronate and cholecalciferol with a full glass of plain water only (not coffee, juice, soda, or even mineral water).
- Swallow the tablets whole with a full glass of water while sitting or standing upright. You must not lie down until you have waited at least 30 minutes after the dose and after you have eaten something. The tablets should not be chewed, broken, or sucked on. These precautions are necessary to prevent alendronate and cholecalciferol from irritating your esophagus.
- You need to make sure that you get enough calcium while taking alendronate and cholecalciferol, as the drug cannot build bone without calcium. Because each tablet contains a week's worth of vitamin D, you do not need to take any additional vitamin D.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Alendronate and cholecalciferol will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to alendronate and cholecalciferol dosing, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.